Opposition Leader Luke Foley has today delivered his Budget in Reply Speech in the NSW Parliament and used the opportunity to again reiterate Labor’s commitment to the Illawarra Jobs Action Plan.
The Jobs Action Plan will see an investment of $5 million towards upgrades at Mt Keira Summit Park. Labor recognises the growth in tourism for the region, with proven investment from cruise liners using the Port. Labor believes it has the opportunity to be a driver of local jobs and activity in the tourism industry.
The Plan will also see the relocation of the Liquor and Gaming NSW to Wollongong, bringing with it more than 200 jobs from the Sydney CBD to Wollongong. Labor believes that this will be a vital catalyst for private sector investment. Mt Keira was again forgotten by the Berejiklian Liberal National Government with no significant commitment, they have again failed to provide any substantial investment.
Mr Foley has committed to ensuring every classroom in the region will also receive air-conditioning under Labor’s revised Cool Schools Program. Every Primary school student will also learn a second language.
Labor’s Illawarra Jobs Action Plan also includes the following measures:
- Connect the Illawarra to the fast-growing regions of southwest and Western Sydney by investing $50 million in an upgrade to the Appin Road to facilitate the safer movement of freight and commuters between the two regions;
- Maldon Dombarton Investment - $50 million in foundation capital to aid the private sector construction of the Maldon-Dombarton rail link;
- Build a new interchange at Masters and Springhill Roads at a cost of $40 million to free up congested traffic at this busy junction;
- Upgrade the WIN Entertainment and Convention Centre at a cost of $50 million, thereby securing 280 jobs and $12 million in regional economic benefit;
- Investing $5 million to the Mt Keira Summit Park to guarantee the destination’s place as a premier tourist attraction;
- Provide $5 million in funding to build a centre at the University of Wollongong’s Innovation Campus that will provide business with access to the technology and expertise to test their ideas;
Quotes attributable to Shadow Minister for the Illawarra Ryan Park:
“Labor is proudly committed to our region. Instead of motherhood statements that we received from the Liberal Government, we have real policies for our region.
“We are committed to our Illawarra Jobs Action Plan and Luke reiterated that today in his speech.
“In stark contrast to the Liberal Government which didn’t commit a single dollar to upgrading schools in the Keira electorate, Labor will install air-conditioning in every single classroom.
“Acknowledging the ever growing importance on international relations, all Primary School students in NSW will learn a second language”.